

ADVERTISEMENT:


Community members from Elim wait anxiously as divers retrieve the body of a young learner from an unfenced construction pit filled with rainwater. Photo: Thembi Siaga.
A 17-year-old learner from Ozias Davhana Secondary School drowned on Monday, 26 January, after going for a swim in a water-filled construction pit left by illegal soil miners. The incident occurred at about 17:30, nearly two kilometres from the school, at Elim, Mpheni Section, along the Beja gravel road.
The boy was identified as Mpho Mutshinyani, a Grade 8 learner from Ha-Mulima village. His body was retrieved by police divers the following day. The unfenced and easily accessible pit had collected rainwater, turning it into a deadly hazard. Hidden in the bush, residents said it was dug by workers from nearby construction sites, who allegedly used the soil to gravel roads and supply construction projects, including malls.
Residents said the pit had posed a danger to children for years. “At some stage, there was little water, but heavy rains over the past weeks filled it, and unfortunately, we lost a life. We are very concerned about the situation,” they said.
Family spokesperson Albert Muliwa said the family was devastated. “We are still in shock. He had just moved to the village last year because his mother was renting a house while working in Louis Trichardt. It was the first time he went swimming there, and we never imagined something like this could happen,” Muliwa said.
Community leader Walter Mabasa said it was wrong for people to dig soil in the area and leave the pit open. “Whoever dug this hole should have closed it properly. The pit is hidden in the bush, so it was difficult for us to see it. Those responsible must face the consequences. Now we have lost one of our own to illegal mining. The government may be aware of these activities, but clearly more needs to be done,” Mabasa said.
On the question of land ownership, Muliwa said the family would consider what steps to take in due course.
Limpopo Department of Education spokesperson Mike Maringa said the incident occurred off school premises and outside school hours. “We will allow the police to provide comments on this matter,” he said.
Vhembe SAPS spokesperson Vuledzani Dathi confirmed that Waterval police had opened an inquest docket. “It is alleged that the deceased went swimming with other children in the area and unfortunately drowned,” Dathi said. No foul play is suspected, but Dathi urged anyone who witnessed the incident or could identify the landowners to come forward. Information can be passed on to Captain Hlengani Phillip Mabunda on 082 565 7901.
Mutshinyani’s body was transported to the local government mortuary for an autopsy and further investigation.

Date:30 January 2026
Thembi Siaga started as an intern during 2021. He assisted with video photography and editing. He also produced numerous small documentaries, focusing on the Vhembe region and its people. Currently he works as a freelance journalist, covering stories in the Elim area. Thembi studied at the Tshwane University of Technology, where he completed his diploma in Journalism in 2021.
Read: 588

ADVERTISEMENT:


