

ADVERTISEMENT:


Livhuwani Madadzhe (right), popularly known as SABC Livhu, and his son, Talifhani Madadzhe, have been released from prison. Photo supplied
Social media influencer and comedian Livhuwani Madadzhe, popularly known as SABC Livhu, and his son, Talifhani Madadzhe, have been released from prison following separate court processes. Livhu’s release coincides with the third anniversary of the death of his wife and Talifhani’s mother, Lindelani Nengovhela.
Livhu was released from Matatshe Prison on Thursday, 22 January, after the Constitutional Court reinstated his bail. His son was released five days later, on Tuesday, 27 January, after being granted bail in an attempted murder case.
The Madadzhe family has been under intense public scrutiny since Nengovhela’s death in 2023, with multiple criminal cases and court appearances over the past three years.
Talifhani Madadzhe is facing an attempted murder charge linked to a stabbing incident at Thohoyandou Stadium on Tuesday, 16 December 2025, at about 18:30. Police said the victim, Rotondwa Ragimana (27) of Maniini, was allegedly stabbed in the neck with a knife. The incident was reported the following day by the victim’s sister, who identified Talifhani Madadzhe as the suspect.
Ragimana was taken by private vehicle to Tshilidzini Hospital before being transferred to Polokwane Provincial Hospital and later to George Mukhari Hospital in Pretoria, where he remains admitted.
Talifhani Madadzhe was arrested on 30 December and spent the New Year in custody. He was granted R1,000 bail on 27 January and is expected to return to court on 1 April.
In a separate matter, the Constitutional Court granted Livhu leave to appeal directly to it and overturned several rulings made by Judge Thogomelani Tshidada in November 2025, including the decision to cancel his bail.
The apex court ruled that Judge Tshidada should not have continued presiding over the case after issuing a case management directive in May 2025. As a result, later decisions — including the separation of charges, continued involvement in sentencing proceedings and the cancellation of bail — were set aside.
The court ordered that Livhu’s bail be reinstated with immediate effect under the same conditions that applied before it was cancelled on 14 November 2025 and instructed that the order be communicated without delay to the correctional centre where he was being held.
The ruling ended weeks of legal uncertainty that had stalled proceedings in the Thohoyandou High Court, sitting at the Waterval Magistrate’s Court, where sentencing on two fraud convictions had been postponed pending the Constitutional Court’s decision.
Livhu previously admitted to two counts of fraud linked to the faking of his mother’s death to claim insurance money. Sentencing in that matter remains suspended.
The Constitutional Court said the State is not barred from applying again for the cancellation of his bail before another judge.
Livhu is also facing a separate murder charge related to the death of his wife. That case is continuing independently.

Date:28 January 2026
Maanda Bele, born and raised in Nzhelele Siloam, studied journalism at the Tshwane University of Technology. He is passionate about current news and international affairs. He worked as part of the Zoutnet team as an intern in 2017. He is currently a freelance journalist specialising in news from the Vhembe district.
Read: 1832

ADVERTISEMENT:


